Saturday 8 October 2011

If You Are Going to Fall, Why Not in Front of 8000 People?

Ok, so I asked the question in an earlier post of which story I should post that shows why my blog could have been called "1 Clumsy Man!". They may all appear at some point but for now here goes...

In an old job I had we used to have a convention annually in the States, which I would attend. The climax of the event was an awards banquet for 8000 people, where I and other management would be recognised on stage and our egos massaged. My immediate thought was whether anyone had ever fallen on stage before. The answer being a resounding no! Well as people's names started to be called members of the management team ran up the ramp on to stage and to my horror started to "high five" each other.

I say horror, because I am an English man. We don't "high five"!!! Period!! It fills us with fear of missing, weakly patting hands or maybe slapping some poor person in the face. And I was one of the last so would have to literally run along high fiving about 50 people. Well, fear in my heart, legs and my nervous sweaty hand, I set off. I sped towards the ramp, raised my hand and stumbled. If not for the line of hands continually hitting mine I would have been flat on my face. Doesn't sound too bad your thinking? That's because the following year is when it all went wrong properly.

Same scenario. 8000 people in the audience, a sea of hands in the air waiting for my weak English swipe. And the previous years stumble on my mind. That's when someone bet with me I wouldn't take a bow halfway across the stage. How little they knew me?

Off I ran confidently. A new focus to take my mind off falling. My hand firmly met the waiting palms until I reached the centre of the stage. My run being beamed onto a massive screen for all 8000 to see. I suddenly realised that with the hands outstretched from everyone I needed to side step away to take my bow! If only I had put more thought into this. More importantly... If only I had noticed the drop to my left. Down I went!! I dragged myself sheepishly to my feet, and meekly high fived the rest of my colleagues. Was I mocked? Of course. I endured a few days jibes and comments but that's fine. Surely it would soon be forgotten.

A few months later a package appeared on the desks of all the UK staff. A good friend of mine in the States office had searched high and low and found footage of my fall. I am so glad that thanks to him there are now DVD's dotted around the country that showcase my balletic grace!

Thanks Wade.

17 comments:

  1. Nothing like knowing who your friends are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's your 15 minutes of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahaa !! A fellow walking Calamity.

    Embrace it - it's all we can do. And it does make for some pretty funny blog posts.

    Or is that just sharing our shame even further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what some of you are thinking, and no, I was not wearing massive shoes at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you plan to do next year?
    And is the video on YouTube?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all get to be famous if just for a minute. I am still visiting from the PIF blogfest. I did not get to visit as many blogs as I wanted to. Your blog was promoted over at the PIF blogfest

    Nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa. Thanks for visiting. And nice to meet you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey there,
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and saying hello. It doesn't matter if you are late to the blog fest at least you made it. Good to "meet" you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, just an old Canadian gal checking in with you. No action here for a while. Hope everything is all right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everythings fine thanks for asking. Just been a little preoccupied with other stuff. Will post soon!

    ReplyDelete

  11. Buy a programmable thermostat. An Energy Star programmable thermostat will regulate your home's temperature year-round, both day and night. Always set your thermostat a couple of degrees less than you think the temperature should be, as you won't really notice the difference in your home. An Energy Star thermostat will save you about $180 a year in heating costs.
    aarti

    ReplyDelete

  12. Don't Play Bazaar be surprised if after a chiropractic adjustment that your body feels worse. It will go away. For some people, treatment gives them an immediate boost of energy, but for others it can seem to worsen the issue. Really give it time. The pain will subside, Satta King and you'll start feeling a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you are looking for a natural way to whiten your teeth, use fresh lemons. Simple rub the inside of a lemon peel on your teeth daily for whiter and brighter teeth. This teeth whitening technique is simple, fast, and inexpensive. Using lemon peels lets you whiten your teeth, without using the harsh chemicals found in some whiteners. Satta King Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  14. To ensure that your ads are successful, carefully match them with the landing page. If you're advertising cooking products, get your ads on a recipe site. If you're advertising a fantasy football system, focus on sports related Satta King Internet Marketing Tips That Are Easy To Follow Play Bazaar articles. Carefully matching your ads is more important than going for sites with a high amount of traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you are very busy and don't have time to manage your account, you should hire someone to help you. To be successful, you need to keep up with posts. Many owners find it difficult to post on Facebook daily. Hiring someone will reduce the work that you have to do. Play Bazaar Techniques To Help You Market Through Facebook Satta King

    ReplyDelete
  16. Create For Less offers the best in scrap booking materials, yarn, beading materials and fabrics making it the perfect go-to place for all of your crafting needs.satta king
    satta bazar

    ReplyDelete